Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Busy = Happy

I have been so busy! The type of busy where you come home from your day and quite literally collapse on your bed and fall immediately to sleep. I have officially accepted my teachNOLA position which means that they have asked me for so much paperwork on top of balancing work and YAV commitments. I do believe that being busy is good and as I begin to get excited about teachNOLA training and entering the final stretch of my YAV year, there is a lot I am thankful for.

Day 43: Donut Delight




Monday: I decided to surprise Valentina at work by first stopping by District Donuts. I contemplated which flavors I should get for easily 5 minutes before finally deciding on Cinnamon Sugar, 7 Layer Cake and Banana Pudding. I also got myself a cold brew coffee (I highly recommend trying one if you never have - the coffee is brewed in cold water instead of being brewed with hot water. It gives it a slightly more bitter taste but goes perfect with something sweet like a donut). Needless to say I drank some of my coffee on the way to work (on an empty stomach to make sure I had room for donuts!) and delivered the donuts to Valentina quite literally bouncing off the walls. The donuts were absolutely delicious though and I can't wait to go back.

Day 44: The New Jim Crow



Tuesday: Our YAV community just started reading a new book called The New Jim Crow that talks about the mass incarceration of black men in America. It is an extremely eye opening and disturbing book that is very relevant to the city of New Orleans. The author, Michelle Alexander, makes some bold statements that have really inspired me to explore the subject further. Crime, corruption, African Americans, police force and drugs are all terms very prevalent and relevant to New Orleans which makes for an interesting read. I've found myself really connecting to the material and it has certainly peaked my interest. More to come as I read more :)

Day 45: Haircut!



Wednesday: I cut 6 inches off! Sometimes you just gotta do it. (Momma approves I think!)

Day 46: Syracuse Fashion Show





Thursday: My sister is graduating from Syracuse University this year (which makes me feel old and reminds me that I have officially been out of school for a year!) Instead of going to her actual graduation, I decided to see her senior collection which she has been putting together all year in her design classes. Miranda came up with 8 looks that she not only designed but made (picked out the fabrics, sewed the pieces together, everything). Four of her looks are above and the rest were just as impressive. I am so proud of her and incredibly amazed of her talent. Most of my extended family was able to be there (if you count in the picture there are 27 of us!) allowing us to take up 2 and half rows just to ourselves. You definitely could not miss a Bull in that crowd :)


Day 47: New Home, Old Friends



Friday: Traveling home last week was a little different that usual as my family has just moved into a new house. Its a beautiful house in Pennington, New Jersey in a older neighborhood with big lots and tall trees. I was lucky enough to have two of my best friends from college meet me for pizza (at Conte's of course!) and then spend the night at my house. I really appreciate them making the trip and the effort to see me when I came home. It's always hard being away from people you love but it's a nice reminder when you do get to see them that not much has changed (we are still just as weird!)


Day 48: Surprise!




Saturday: My sorority little sister, Sarah, is graduating this year and part of our tradition in Alpha Chi is to throw the seniors a "surprise" party. In the past, alumni have come back to celebrate with their sorority families and to participate in the celebration. It worked out perfectly that the weekend I came home happened to also be senior surprise! I made my way to Muhlenberg on Saturday evening and got to surprise Sarah and my little little Nicole... I was even in for a surprise when my big showed up! Essentially there were 5 generations of my family at Muhlenberg all together and it was awesome (you can see us all in age order in the top picture!) It was nice to go back to school and remember all of the wonderful people that Alpha Chi Omega has introduced me to. I love my perfect sorority family.


Day 49: Car Ride with my Dad




Sunday: I was so happy to spend some quality time with my family (I would argue I needed more time but I'll take what I can get!) My dad picked me up from Muhlenberg on Sunday afternoon and we leisurely drove to the airport. Between my mom, my dad and my sister, I talk to my family virtually every day but there is something so wonderful about talking in person. Me and my dad got to discuss family, the future, the weekend, and comedians we love. I am so lucky to have the best parents in the entire world and being able to spend some face to face with them was awesome. I miss them more than they know!

Lesson from the Journey: I've gotten to a point where I can't call my little brothers little anymore...as one of them stands a foot taller than me. Guess it's younger brothers from now on!




No comments:

Post a Comment