Thursday, September 26, 2013

Homeless Ministry

Alex and I ready to go with our bagged lunches!

Yesterday morning I volunteered at First Presbyterian Church of New Orleans with the homeless ministry. The previous day, our YAV community worked together to create 100 bagged lunches that included a sandwich, chips, granola bar, crackers, raisins, banana, scripture passage and a water. Based on weeks previous, we were expecting anywhere from 60-85 homeless to show up at the church at 9am Wednesday morning.

This was not the case.

There was a record 120 people there to receive lunches, toiletries and clothing. It is one thing to recognize that there is need in a city but when it is staring you in the face asking for Doritos it is quite a different feeling. When Fred, the pastor of First Presbyterian, realized that we were short lunches ran out to the store and quickly made another 20 to satisfy every single person who walked through the door. Old and young men, woman, girls, children, black, white, tattooed and fully covered up, homelessness doesn't just have one face.

Pastor Crawford reading a story during the worship service at First Presbyterian Church.

First Presbyterian Church has a lot to offer the homeless and I was really honored to be a part of it this week. When you check in, you get a lunch voucher (good for one bagged lunch), a toiletries voucher (good for 2 toiletry items), a clothing voucher (good for 2 items of clothing) and a Salvation Army voucher (good for one nights stay where you receive dinner, breakfast and a safe place to sleep). Although I articulate that I feel "honored" to be a part of this ministry, that doesn't mean it was easy for me. I think it's easier to sympathize from a far, not to get too close. It is extremely hard to look people in the eye who have little to nothing when you have everything you need and more. Once again I feel this tension of emotions - happy that I am able to help with a worthwhile cause but devastated on the need of people in the city I now call home.

I honestly look forward to the next time I am able to go.

Lesson from the Journey: Dealing with my privilege has been an ongoing yet important internal struggle that has been amplified in significant ways throughout my time here in New Orleans.


1 comment:

  1. I know 69 other people who are also struggling to deal with our privilege. You're not in this fight alone, my friend. :) Thank you for sharing your stories!

    ReplyDelete